Saturday, August 8, 2015

More talk on seer stones


Do the seer stones bother me?

No. Not in the least, but they did at one point.

Seer stones bother skeptics, and at first they bothered me too. How strange that a “prophet” needs something like that in order to translate apparently sacred scripture.

Smith might have been reliant on the seer stones without even knowing it. Perhaps he had the gift of translation by himself and only thought he needed the stones as a helper.  For all we know it could be standard in his maturation as a prophet.

Then I figured, “What the hell. If I believe in God and the divine authenticity of the book of Mormon (and I do), surely I believe that God could have assisted Smith in translation by whatever means He thought Smith needed.”

Does this define reason and experience? Yup. LDS shouldn’t argue otherwise. It’s a matter we should accept on faith and move on. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t argue and bicker about it, it’s just something that may need to be accepted using faith or a priori reasoning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment