Monday, July 27, 2015

Does the church ask too much?

Simply put, yes. Sometimes church members don't understand this. Ironically, the leadership sort of does. 

Lifelong members may have a hard time grasping this, and I don't blame them. It's like asking a fish about water. What water? It's just what they live in. 

However, to new members the time and money commitment to the church often times seems like a great deal. I've seen many members say "Well just get over it and do it." No way. That's not the way you should talk to other members in the first place, but in the second it's a wonderful way to be obtuse and cold. 

For me it comes to this: Would I turn down a calling? You bet I would. I have no experience with kids and I am sort of uncomfortable being around them. No, that doesn't make me a bad person and no, I don't hate kids. In a kid centric calling though, I believe strongly I'd be a detriment to them and to myself. So I'd turn it down. I'd also turn down a calling that would math heavy. I need an abacus and two calculators for even the most basic math, so if they asked me to be an accountant you are darn right I'd turn that one down too. 

None of this makes me a bad Mormon. In a way, it makes me a more perceptive one because I know my own strengths and abilities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment