Friday, July 10, 2015

Album of the weekend

Ramones-Too Tough to Die

This is the essential Ramones album. It holds a special place in my heart, with the song "Wart Hog" being my favorite Ramones song of all time. That's really saying something because I tend to like almost all their songs. 

The album was named after Johnny, who was beaten up in a fight and almost killed. Thank God he survived, our lives would be much less rich if he wasn't in them. His surviving a brutal beating (and it was, read his book Commando to find out more about it) showed he was literally, "too tough to die". 

"Too Tough to Die" has a much harder sound than almost any other Ramones album.

I have a tendency to flirt with nihilism. Her and I have a long standing affair. If I wasn't LDS, I'd be an even bigger egomaniac than I already am. I'd also be more cynical and nihilistic, if possible. 

The lyrics to "Wart Hog" sum up not only my "darker" side, but also the Ramones. "It's a joke, it's a lie, it's a rip off man, it's an outlaw life we're a renegade band". That, my friends, is the best summary of the Ramones and their hardcore fans anyone could ever create. 

Have a great weekend! 

4 comments:

  1. "Warthog" is killer..actually, any dee dee song is usually on my favorites list. Its a sick world, sick, sick, sick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. I think Ramones fans (and I'm a huge one) get caught up sometimes in talking about Johnny and Joey, because of their contrast in personalities and immense talent. We forget about Dee Dee, who was probably the most talented musician in the band!

      Delete
  2. Except for his rap album....eeek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alarm clock ring
      And it's time to get up
      It's time to do that funky strut

      Oh. My. God.

      Delete