Monday, July 20, 2015

Being a different looking Latter Day Saint


I was talking with a non-member a few days ago and he asked me “Is it weird being the only LDS in your church who has tattoos and long hair?” I told him “Well, I’m sure I’m not the only one, but even if I was, it wouldn’t bother me much.”

Sure, you are going to get weird stares in temples and some people may frown on them, but in the long run, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is your relationship with Christ and Heavenly Father.

It’s a cliché, but it’s also true. You truly can’t please everyone. Sometimes no matter what you do, how nice you try to be, someone will have a problem with you. It’s never personal; it’s usually their problem.

Often time’s non-members think of religious people as judgmental, uptight and quick to find fault with things. Are their members like this? You bet. Are there people like this in every religion (and yes, even athiests can be like that too)? Yup.

I have to admit, I’ve been very blessed. 99% of LDS I’ve met have been wonderful. Latter Day Saints get a bad reputation-most people who dismiss us haven’t really bothered to get to know any of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment