Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Not caring about every single issue

I'm a passionate guy. I'm passionate about my hobbies, my interests, my political and religious views. Like Howard Roark in my all time favorite novel The Fountainhead, I can't do something I love only halfway. Usually people who care too much or are intense are laughed at in this culture-it's much more cool and hip to be detached. 

Now that that's out of the way, isn't there something obnoxious about people who get caught up in every single social cause, food trend, and latest moral craze? I'm talking about the moms who only feed their kid organic and breastfeed until they are 15. The celebrities who preach about environmentalism from their private jets. The preachers who want to ban the latest dance craze or video game. These people are so frustrating. 

It's okay to not care about a certain trendy social cause. In fact, it may very well keep you sane. If you worried about every single tree that was cut down by those "evil" lumberman, you wouldn't have the energy to worry about every manatee killed by a boat. If you worry about every manatee, you won't worry about malaria in Africa killing people left and right. 

The average human doesn't have the compassion level to care about all these issues. First off, if you cared about all of them passionately you'd be too busy trying to cure them to worry about other issues. Second, most people who care about all those issues don't care about them. They just want to seem like "Mr/Mrs Compassionate and wonderful." Digging deeper, they do nothing to actually alleviate the issue they "care" about. 

Sound harsh? Well it is, and it's also true. Look around. It's good to be committed to a cause-in fact, it's a good thing to care about several causes-but it's a better thing to do something meaningful to help those causes than jumping from cause to cause to show you "care". 

Motivated by me not caring about GMO foods, global warming, breastfeeding, and saving public libraries. I know, I'm such an immoral badass. 


No comments:

Post a Comment