Thursday, October 17, 2019

Dogs and humans

I love dogs. I've owned many wonderful dogs in my life and now I'm the proud owner of a bull terrier named Jaina, after the expanded universe Star Wars character.  She's the same breed as the Target dog, but the breed is not for everyone. Their history is a bit troubled-they were used as fighting dogs in their past, and I'm sure that in the wrong hands they could become extremely aggressive and very dangerous. Like all responsible owners of the breed, I'm careful to correct nay aggression that she might show. "Correct" doesn't mean use force or get violent-but it does mean they need firm leadership.

Humanizing dogs is a major problem in society because it's not fair to the dog. If you are desperate to treat something like a human-have a baby, not a dog.  Dressing up a dog in human clothes or having it be carried in your purse or giving it "people food" and reading it stories before bedtime shows that you are lacking something in you own life. Dogs are wonderful companions to humans and like I said-I love dogs and value them deeply. I also realize that some people get a dog for the wrong reason, sometimes because they are lacking something in their life.

Speaking of "wrong reasons" among the worst thing you can do is get a protective dog for some macho statement. Most men who act overly macho all the time are trying to overcompensate, and I've seen men who act like that get a pit bull or a rottie just to show the rest of the world how tough they are. Usually they can't provide the leadership that the dog needs and the dog turns into a violent monster. It's sad, because in the end the dog might kill another dog or much worse, another human.


No comments:

Post a Comment