Wednesday, May 20, 2015

About me


I’m in my mid 30’s, from the northeast but in the process of relocating down south. I hate it up in New England and I am a born again southern boy.

I’m obsessed with music, in particular punk and metal-and I go out of my way not to watch modern movies. The only good movies are from the 50's and 70's. There are exceptions here and there. 

No matter where I am, odds are I’d rather be at mosh pit or a bookstore.

I’m married, and that’s incredibly odd to me because I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life that would ruin even the strongest marriage. To quote David Bednar, I am the weakest of the weak. I’ve hurt many women in my life, and I’ve certainly the hurt the ones closest to me the worst. 

A quote by Nabokov sums me up pretty well. “My loathings are simple: Stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty and soft music.”

Politically I lean towards the right though I’m not a conservative in the least. I am a firm believer in the rights of the individual and I don’t like tradition or authority.

People who join a lot of clubs baffle me-like Groucho Marx said I would never join a club that would have people like me as a member.

Changing a tire is beyond my capacity; I can barely pump my own gasoline.

Hiking and cycling are two of my favorite “outdoor” activities but the two weeks I spent at summer camp were the worst two weeks of my life. One of my first church callings was as a den leader in Cub Scouts and I felt bad for the kids. Thank God I didn’t have to go camping with them, it would have been a disaster.

After getting my first tattoo at age thirty I got hooked and got five more within a few years. Even though the church frowns on them I love getting tattoos and will certainly get more. The American traditional style is my favorite style.

 I’m a very liberal Mormon in some ways. I have no problem with either gay marriage or women having the priesthood. However I believe that the prophets know more than I do and I accept that they run the church and not I. 

Paradoxically I’m a very conservative Mormon too. I believe the Book of Mormon tells the history of a civilization that actually existed in reality, even though it’s obvious that you can be an LDS in good standing and believe otherwise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment