Tuesday, April 7, 2015

From bad Catholic to Jack Mormon.


I began to question the church I was raised in during my mid-late 20’s, with a final intense attempt leading to a rejection of the Church-but never Christ.

I tried to read every book I could about Christianity. From St. Augustine – Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel. I also read books by atheists. Dawkins, Hitchens, Sam Harris. I went to different churches, but never felt as though I was home to Christ. Everyone was very nice, but it never felt as though it was true.  I took up reading the bible more seriously on my own, and before I knew it, it was covered in post it notes, Acts 4:12 and Matthew 25:40 being among my personal favorites.

Way back when Facebook was just beginning, college students with too much time on their hands and who were tired of playing Nintendo 64 would spend time passing playful quizzes around, with titles such as, “Are you a Republican or a Democrat”, or “What will your future spouse be like?” One time I was sent a “What religion are you?” The test was from Belief . net, and it was fairly in depth for an online quiz talking about incredibly deep topics such as religion. The answer was overwhelming “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints” Other religions weren’t even close.

In the beginning of 2013 I got into a car accident. My car was totally destroyed, but I walked away without a scratch.  After the shock wore off, I began to do what many people do after such an event-I thanked God a thousand times –still do today-and began to redouble my efforts in trying to find His church.

In my entire search for Him throughout my life, I always believed in His Son.  There were times I wasn’t sure of Gods existence, but I was sure that Jesus was the Christ. I thought of that Belief. Net quiz from time to time, and I decided to take it again. Sure enough, same results. LDS came in first.

I looked up Joseph Smith on-line. I read about his birthplace being in Vermont, and since my wife and I both love road trips, I decided to give it a drive. It was my first serious exposure to the faith, and along with being very informative, it was very moving. We saw a beautiful brass statue of Joseph Smith Jr, and before I knew it, I found myself weeping and holding my wife’s hand very tightly and listening to a Missionary tour guide talk about the building of the obelisk.  After viewing more of the grounds the missionary left us with some pamphlets and we drove off. 

I looked up Mormon.org and spoke with a missionary online. She gave some videos-and, even better-she answered all my questions and concerns. What? No coffee? No cigars? I always have champagne on New Years Eve! Yikes. By the way-I really like heavy metal music and video games-is that okay?  After bombarding her with questions, I told her that, yes, I was finally going to attend my first Mormon services to see what it was like. I’m a morning person, so walking up early wasn’t a problem. Finding a tie could be.
I had hoped to be like Batman on this one-sneak in, sit in the back, observe, and then duck out without being noticed. Then go back and report to my new online friend. I quickly realized that was easier said than done. After my first time at Sacrament Meeting  and Gospel Principles , I met with two Missionaries, easily two of the nicest people I've ever met in my life.  It was my first time sitting down with someone who identified as a Mormon. Living in New England, there just aren’t many of them up here.

Sure, I’d meet up with you guys again. In fact, do you have a book of Mormon I could have? Thanks. They also suggest that Youtube has a Mormon channel I think I’ll check it out . I did, and while watching the  General Conference in April of 2013, I heard from Elder Jeffery Holland, who said, “imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him but he deals with it. “

Go home and read it-and I did. I also found myself agreeing with a lot of it, and it was quickly becoming as highlighted as my bible was. I was shocked at how much insight it had.  Some quotes, such as Alma 30:25 really hit home personally.  I was adopted and I was born “out of wedlock”.  Even in a “progressive” era such as the 90’s. I was still made fun of because of it. Only in a religious school. No one in public school cared. Maybe it was true-all of us kids born out of wedlock are disliked by God. It’s still one of my favorite quotes.
The missionary whom I spoke to online, asked me how it was going. How was my trip to Vermont and reading going? I did what I often do. Talked without thinking and said, “Well, I believe Joseph Smith Jr to be an appointed prophet on earth by Christ.” Bam. There it was.

A moment of silence was between us. I asked myself-did I believe this? Before I could answer, she asked again-“well, if you know he was, why not join Christs restored church?” Another quick moment of silence. “I know it’s the true Church. I’ve always felt that.” Just like what Princess Leia said in Return of the Jedi.
I know the book of Mormon of is true. I know fiction from non-fiction. You could not make this up if you tried.  It doesn’t read like fantasy. It’s actually somewhat dull in parts.  It might be dull in parts, but it is the full truth.

I know Joseph Smith is the prophet. Prophet doesn’t mean perfect. He never claimed to be. He did claim to be a 
prophet because he was one. You think he made it up? Oh really? What did he have to gain from it? He risked public ridicule and scorn. His name is still controversial to this day.  Who benefited except the death of his family and loved ones?  Liars do not make good martyrs.

The book of Mormon is true, and Joseph Smith is the Prophet. President Thomas S. Monson leads the church today and is the Living Prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment